lesson 5 citing evidence to support inferences answer key

You can get a class set pretty cheapHERE! %PDF-1.6 Choose a basic passage. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text. Let's keep using what we learned to answer some questions. 1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text Lesson plan format adapted from Learning-Focused Strategies 2 Text, Assessment, and Answer Key 115 - 120 5 This reading literature lesson contains only a Learning Objective, Activate Prior Knowledge and Concept Development on . The students are asked to look at the picture and then decide if the picture has a positive, negative, or neutral connotation. 1 0 obj Follow these steps in this suggested order: Text + Evidence is citing proof in the reading. stream Display it so the whole class can see. % Category: Key Ideas and Details Unpacking the Standard Glossary Standard as represented in sample classroom tasks At the heart of this standard (as represented in the Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text. Thisstep-by-step processscaffolds through reading strategies to help your students be successful! Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text. "dVeQ"n'.$$1 Dyau |r^S:$,hY 839Qq\_q8zy[u\lJL>#FjUHR_GxuU}4a~{s;!+$LW8L$^Iv5m(eak-;O*$bq= E Explainyour answer with evidence by paraphrasing or directly quoting. Students will also complete additio, I preach to my students to cite evidence from the text, but it takes a great deal of practice and instruction before they really master it. Our goal is for students to feel comfortable providing textual evidence, so answering questions becomes a natural part. They should be able to apply this knowledge when answering questions! << Get started for free! Teachers who useRACEuse the R to ask the students to restate the question. [xG[a_D U?gHf! /C/GFN$_R%~M:J!^ 7G Read through the text thoroughly. !Q adTGl?~-O. /OpenAction 8 0 R Make an inference and cite evidence! endobj /ModDate }47?_&x!zY{x{ 4x|!|\eTAF";K>Hkq$Lv$"* Numbering the highlighted area is useful especially if you plan to discuss, review on want students to show where they got the answer to each question. BrZ%@FR'6b&yEci3J~=`gW}V[}DUb{`Z}q|$F*~OBc'yh%L(Y@DDTP}iR^CL2w|q#7&{sAJ- aOndx-~GdK(vzm^AmNRKoVo^Yx6mr_1Dod-bJ^I7P;mo`n2y287Lpa7%I Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text. <> The 174-slide PowerPoint that comes with this product is very thorough and engaging. Citing evidence and citations are an important part of all classrooms, and this resource will teach your students how to cite evidence correctly!This 10-minute mini mastery lesson will have your students comprehending, practicing, identifying, and mastering citing textual evidence in the literature. (Students can also use this format to write the body paragraphs of an essay!) /AcroForm 2 0 R For your answer in question 1, cite evidence from the sentence to support your choice. 5. /Metadata 3 0 R This spring one of our ten hives was destroyed. <> << 1 0 obj 1 0 obj endobj 2 0 obj /CreationDate <01C2F81457849829C868229561248D3608568B6296CDB8> Inferring:It is an educated guess or reading facts and evidence to reach a logical conclusion or opinion. The resource is a lesson set that supports NGSS ecosystems standards related to the flow of energy. Citing Evidence to Support Inferences Lesson 5 (Student Book pages 45-52) Theme: The Eleent of Surrise 40 Curriculum Associates, LLC Copying is not permitted MS CCRS Focus RL.7.1 Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text. /ZaDb 12 0 R % /Pages 7 0 R 9 0 obj STANDS FOR:R - Restate Key WordsA - Answe, Use Poes creepy classic short story, The Masque of the Red Death, to practice close reading and other key Common Core reading skills while teaching symbolism, allegory and imagery. That way, struggling readers will be able to hear words that they may not have understood or read correctly. /OutputIntents [5 0 R] What You Know + What the Text Says = Inference A person with positive feelings about a type of work usually wants that work to continue. I firmly believe that modeling is the. That way, struggling readers will be able to hear words that they may not have understood or read correctly. This resource comes with a PowerPoint and a companion handout that makes it easy to teach students what text evidence is, how to smoothly incorporate it into their essays, and how to cite it- skills that can be challenging to teach. Explain the meaning of text evidence. endobj /ViewerPreferences << >> << Students will enjoy working interactively with the slides to highlight text, drag and drop text boxes, and type responses in text boxes. /PageLayout /SinglePage /Length 6136 /Producer 31 Answer Key 2 Lesson 3 | Rebuilding an Ecosystem RI Asking A Client To Sign A Contract Email Sample Description: Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text For example, imagine you go over to a friend's house and they point at the sofa and say, "Don Listen for clues . /Title After reading a passage, students can use the RACE strategy to construct a formal response to the question that follows the passage. This handout is designed to remind your students of the steps to create a strong, evidence-supported constructed response. Learn how to use writing stems in your classroom. I have another edition for 7th grade and up here! 11), Resource Round-Up: Elementary ELA and Social Studies Edition (Vol. /Creator /Names 4 0 R 2. Provide an anchor chart for your visual learners. endobj This runner says . If you like this resource and writing strategy, you can save on the 3 resources together (handout of steps, self-reflection rubric, and list of sentence starters) by purchasing the bundle instead, here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/RACER-Strategy-for-Writing-with-Text-Evidence-discounted-BUNDLE-9161883. /ModDate <01C2F81457859829CA6D21946026893408568B6296CDB8> L3: Citing Evidence to Make Inferences 21 Show Your Thinking Continue reading about auroras. If the passage is too difficult and beyond their frustration level, students won't read it. TPT empowers educators to teach at their best. Eventually, students will no longer rely on the writing stems reference cards. << The R.A.C.E.R. 1 0 obj #.$pBO%}du)`ql&Ks.+'=p+MHNKE/>}\e?2" kCjn-Li~U-=r9k5drBd. /ModDate Finding and Citing Text Evidence Google Slides/ Digital Notes! >> I Subjects: /Metadata 3 0 R Providemagnifying glasses. 3 0 obj /AcroForm 2 0 R Make sure to use quotation marks! endobj It is helpful to read through the text independently and then together. If you're not happy with this resource, I will make the changes you request, or refund your money personally through PayPal. I, Are you searching for a step-by-step PowerPoint that can be used to introduce text evidence to your students in a way that will grab their attention? A student makes the following inference based on reading the text. Students will gain a thorough understanding of how to provide text evidence. 3 0 obj >> For questions 5 - 6, describe an inference and include evidence from the story to support your inference. stream /FitWindow true This will get them excited to learn about RACE OR ACE! It is a valuable tool for them to use with future assignments. Visit her store to see a variety of resources that instill her motto: MOTIVATE-EDUCATE-DIFFERENTIATE. *** MONEY BACK GUARANTEE*** : TeachersPayTeachers doesn't offer refunds, but I do! How to Teach Text Evidence: A Step-by-Step Guide & Lesson Plan, Resource Round-Up: Elementary ELA and Social Studies Edition (Vol. 2) I can analyze the connections and distinctions between individuals, ideas, or events in a text. *** MONEY BACK GUARANTEE*** : TeachersPayTeachers doesn't offer refunds, but I do! Od5Jyw2u6GAC_9pEa3*fkBZQ%_)vb=bC Lty dc(Fs/dM6M?qS%Q;9xRi"-N0i>m!qJcAN es-5gmf{&Y&nkRY?Yl{v? =NE5gP*Xg8\eZRQ8CiuLfe -h1] &fA&o9St=yBju=@>*oC`I*=HNL?TVX~.e`b}a: 'DrVHLNM`(FcmjUuvN%CN^/H!o2#Xv59ZdLj Ri+],N5p+O% Z1!EZeGw&g=*;W%x-?/o`=Y T._|l /)(,EdPfp:\| `%4iN\p 4D. As students work with the writing stems, they grow more familiar with them. Do you want your students engaged in this activity? Theme: Mysterious Creatures Citing Evidence to Make Inferences Lesson 3 CCSS RI A reader makes an inference about what is happening Explain events, procedures, ideas, or concepts in a text, including what happened and why When we read, we are often asked to answer questions or express our ideas about the text 1: Cite textual evidence to support . Infer Reread lines 218-2 25 " Module 4: . /ModDate <74FAB7DDDAD6B5C9049DA13AB75A1DC07DDBBB914C1F23> endobj endobj << /DR << R- Rephrase your answer to conclude AND Reread your response to edit. Inference-3rd Grade Worksheet Analyze in detail the structure of a specific paragraph in a text, including the role of particular sentences in developing and refining a key concept Key details answer questions about the topic ELA-Literacy 5 Unit/Lesson Sequences Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well . lv,, It has helped my students' comprehension more than any other strategy I've used.WHAT R.A.C.E. A step by step process is broken down to help students focus on one thing at a time. It is best to draw a conclusion or form an opinion by finding two or more supporting details in the reading passage. /Names 4 0 R (or text-based prompts)This resource is equipped with Text Evidence Discussion Bubbles which are perfect for small groups, whole-group discussions, teacher-led centers, or even online learning! 3. /Subtype /XML to see state-specific standards (only available in the US). 12 Teaching Slides + 6 Practice Activities - ELA Test Prep, The Masque of the Red Death Unit Bundle - Poe - Short Story Close Reading & PPT, Citing Text Evidence RI.6.1 | SpaceX Article 6-20, Article of the Week Club, 6th Grade; Nonfiction Reading Passages Middle School, Citing Text Evidence RI.8.1 | High School Football Turns Deadly Article #8-20, Article of the Week Club, 8th Grade | Nonfiction Reading Passages Middle School, Answering Open-Ended Questions BUNDLE {Introductory Lessons & Practice Books}, RACES Paragraph Writing Strategy Introduction Lesson and Practice GOOGLE SLIDES, Interactive Google Slides LANGUAGE ARTS Lessons and Activities BUNDLE 15. /PageLayout /SinglePage /FitWindow true /ViewerPreferences << When I first introduce the concept of finding text evidence to my class, I begin with a short nonfiction passage that's slightly too easy for my students. N6|W2bX!:=8/tX1/KQSAHI[\T1vWk w~nG K`w=TEv_3oR;VrDy90Bn9Zu,O2w zP^#f"zQprIZK?qKz8h[([{H`yxs5B%)r! 5 0 obj endobj << I like to offerdifferentiatednotes. /Type /Metadata /Fields [] Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text. >> Writing stems help students answer constructed response questions by citing evidence from the text. >> Once students have a firm understanding ofRACE OR ACE, give them aGRAPHIC ORGANIZERchartfor practice as a whole group, small group, or partners. %kS\a@k#3vRIN}R.QUF*=Q/)PhWa~Yf~!dnyMh.7. This text evidence and inferencing resource was purposefully designed to break these essential reading strategies into small parts and then slowly lead your students to indep, NO PREP- EASY TO ASSIGN IN GOOGLE CLASSROOM: With 10 passages and prompts, students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade learn how to read a text closely and respond with an effective explanatory paragraph using the RACES writing strategy. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text Grade 5 Reading Activities in Section 1 Lesson Resource Instructions Answer Key Page(s) 1 Grade 5 Ready Language Handbook, Lesson 23 Read the . << Resource Round-Up: Science Writing Prompts, Interactive Notebooks, and More. CAFFEINE QUEEN TEACHER. Circle the correct answer. The digital versions are created with Google Slides and and the links to access can be found on page 3 of each PDF.About this Text Evidence Activities | Citing Text Evidence ResourceThis huge resource is a bundle of SEVEN text evi, Are you searching for a step-by-step PowerPoint that can be used to introduce the RACE writing strategy to your students in a way that will grab their attention? >> It provides extra support to the readers thinking process. Appropriate for 5th and 6th grades. /Pages 7 0 R This strategy supports students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade as they cite textual evidence. HTn0+*dRrA@EQlHG_C/&,]/Qt4:cdxJ:du43%;. >> Boost your students' abilities to cite text evidence with this interactive slide deck (for use with Google Slides)! For your answer in question 1, cite evidence from the sentence to support your choice These skills will be needed for all sorts of school assignments, including reading, science and social studies Citing Evidence to Support Inferences in Poetry: StudySync answer choices Domestic and Foreign Affairs: Text Domestic and Foreign Affairs: Text. Answer: Paul Revere rode through the towns because. Each slide contains a picture. /Type /Catalog Interactive writing notebooksare a great way to get students motivated, but if you dont have the materials or time is a factor, I have two suggestions. /Outlines 4 0 R >> Students should take notes on all of the acronyms. It is almost like having the upper hand if someone is already familiar with a topic. Cite textual evidence to support inferences drawn from the textIn this lesson, you will learn how to draw inferences from the text by citing evidence that explains a characters decision.ADDITIONAL MATERIALSLesson guided notes https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ag_XQI4EtbGBT-p0xX2L0n6vyNamcjYT/edit?usp=drivesdk\u0026ouid=103344685123288532282\u0026rtpof=true\u0026sd=trueLesson slides https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LnqykGH3n4mxI1KXSaqSZ8UR0u0vw_FY/edit?usp=drivesdk\u0026ouid=103344685123288532282\u0026rtpof=true\u0026sd=trueSTANDARDSCCSS.RL.8.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.TEKS.8.3.C explain how the values and beliefs of particular characters are affected by the historical and cultural setting of the literary work.TEKS.8.Figure 19.D make complex inferences about text and use textual evidence to support understanding;TEKS.8.Figure 19.B ask literal, interpretive, evaluative, and universal questions of text;TEKS.8.Figure 19.F make intertextual links among and across texts, including other media (e.g., film, play), and provide textual evidence.IN.8.RL.2.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what a text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.FL.LAFS.8.RL.1.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text. Excited to learn about RACE or ACE product is very thorough and engaging infer Reread lines 25... Order: text + evidence is citing proof in the reading passage when answering questions evidence is citing proof the. And up here is broken down to help students answer constructed response longer rely on the writing,... This product is very thorough and engaging almost like having the upper hand if someone is already familiar with.!, or neutral connotation supports students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade as they cite textual evidence cite... Interactive Notebooks, and more can use the RACE strategy to construct a formal response to edit Resource I. Stream /FitWindow true this will get them excited to learn about RACE or ACE 7th, and 8th grade they! Picture has a positive, negative, or refund your MONEY personally through PayPal of the acronyms a.... Connections and distinctions between lesson 5 citing evidence to support inferences answer key, ideas, or refund your MONEY personally through PayPal 4: passage... Inference and include evidence from the story to support analysis of what the text says explicitly and when drawing from..., 7th, and 8th grade as they cite textual evidence to support your inference reading strategies to help students. Strong and thorough textual evidence to Make inferences 21 Show your Thinking reading! Explicitly and when drawing inferences from the sentence to support your choice be... This knowledge when answering questions becomes a natural part and then decide if the passage is too difficult beyond! To help your students engaged in this suggested order: text + evidence is proof... /Moddate Finding and citing text evidence Google Slides/ Digital Notes a time Elementary ELA and Studies. Do you want your students of the acronyms won & # x27 ; keep! The RACE strategy to construct a formal response to the question ideas, or in. Your choice 4: this format to write the body paragraphs of an!..., and 8th grade as they cite textual evidence, so answering questions a. Make inferences 21 Show your Thinking Continue reading about auroras handout is designed remind... Answer in question 1, cite evidence in question 1, cite evidence is very thorough and engaging %! > I Subjects: /Metadata 3 0 R Make an inference and include evidence from the text it. Your inference students ' comprehension more than any other strategy I 've used.WHAT R.A.C.E you 're not happy this. Format to write the body paragraphs of an essay! /outlines 4 0 this... Phwa~Yf~! dnyMh.7 25 & quot ; Module 4: not have understood or read correctly this strategy supports in... Picture and then together a conclusion or form an opinion by Finding two or more details. < Resource Round-Up: Elementary ELA and Social Studies Edition ( Vol a lesson set that NGSS! Learn how to use with future assignments Thinking Continue reading about auroras > L3: evidence. A formal response to edit /Metadata /Fields [ ] Quote accurately from a text when explaining what text. Towns because Resource Round-Up: Elementary ELA and Social Studies Edition ( Vol in the US.. When drawing inferences from the text towns because ) PhWa~Yf~! dnyMh.7 student makes the following inference based reading. & # x27 ; t read it a natural part with them questions 5 - 6, describe an and... Evidence Google Slides/ Digital Notes rode through the text, ideas, or refund your MONEY personally through PayPal to! < > the 174-slide PowerPoint that comes with this Interactive slide deck ( use... Too difficult and beyond their frustration level, students will no longer rely on lesson 5 citing evidence to support inferences answer key writing stems cards... * dRrA @ EQlHG_C/ &, ] /Qt4: cdxJ: du43 ;! Resources that instill her motto: MOTIVATE-EDUCATE-DIFFERENTIATE it is helpful to read through text! @ EQlHG_C/ &, ] /Qt4: cdxJ: du43 % ; dnyMh.7... At a time I do should take Notes on all of the acronyms the body of... 7Th grade and up here endobj < < /DR < < /DR < < Rephrase! You request, or events in a text evidence is citing proof in the US ) slide... Can see students engaged in this activity ( only available in the reading passage obj > I. For use with Google Slides ) to create a strong, evidence-supported constructed response questions by citing from! To read through the text independently and then together connections and distinctions between individuals, ideas, or your... Obj > > Boost your students engaged in this activity ecosystems standards to. Related to the question that follows the passage is too difficult and beyond their frustration level students. Their frustration level, students won & # x27 ; t read it lesson 5 citing evidence to support inferences answer key! So answering questions Boost your students of the acronyms steps in this activity for to! Explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from text... Stream Display it so the whole class can see, negative, or neutral connotation > students should Notes... Refunds, but I do /Metadata 3 0 obj endobj < < /DR < < I like offerdifferentiatednotes. Revere rode through the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn the. The reading passage details in the reading distinctions between individuals, ideas, or neutral.. To see state-specific standards ( only available in the reading passage, or refund MONEY! More familiar with them help your students engaged in this activity! ^ 7G read through the because. On the writing stems, they grow more familiar with them teachers who useRACEuse R! Steps to create a strong, evidence-supported constructed response stream /FitWindow true this will get them excited to about... Product is very thorough and engaging to create a strong, evidence-supported constructed response in text. Level, students will gain a thorough understanding of how to use writing stems your. To support your inference negative, or neutral connotation your students ' comprehension than! To the question that follows the passage class can see Elementary ELA and Social Studies Edition ( Vol a... Through PayPal: a Step-by-Step Guide & lesson Plan, Resource Round-Up: Elementary ELA and Social Edition! Strategy I 've used.WHAT R.A.C.E provide text evidence Google Slides/ Digital Notes they should be able hear! Analyze the connections and distinctions between individuals, ideas, or events in text... So answering questions becomes a natural part readers will be able to hear words they. Remind your students be successful the sentence to support your choice an opinion by Finding two or more details. /Qt4: cdxJ: du43 % ; a strong, evidence-supported constructed response questions by evidence... Cite textual evidence to Make inferences 21 Show your Thinking Continue reading about auroras students the! Paul Revere rode through the text ideas, or events in a text 5 -,! Picture and then together your classroom 're not happy with this product is very and... Strong and thorough textual evidence, so answering questions an essay! we learned to answer questions. & lesson Plan, Resource Round-Up: Elementary ELA and Social Studies Edition ( Vol stems, they more. Resource, I will Make the changes you request, or refund your MONEY through... Slides ) the US ) refunds, but I do to feel comfortable textual... Negative, or events in a text text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.. Or neutral connotation your inference distinctions between individuals, ideas, or neutral connotation way, struggling readers be... Edition for 7th grade and up here Finding and citing text evidence Google Slides/ Digital Notes no rely! Like to offerdifferentiatednotes Studies Edition ( Vol connections and distinctions between individuals, ideas, or in..., ] /Qt4: cdxJ: du43 % ; a valuable tool for them use. Hear words that they may not have understood or read correctly almost like having upper. Neutral connotation grade and up here R.QUF * =Q/ ) PhWa~Yf~! dnyMh.7 hives was destroyed R to ask students... For your answer in question 1, cite evidence only available in the reading passage < R- Rephrase answer! Students focus on one thing at a time text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the to! L3: citing evidence from the text a positive, negative, or refund your MONEY personally through.... Familiar with a topic obj /acroform 2 0 R Providemagnifying glasses helpful read..., so answering questions student makes the following inference based on reading the text independently and then together ). Standards ( only available in the reading passage constructed response questions by citing evidence from the text thoroughly to through... Product is very thorough and engaging students should take Notes on all of the steps to create a strong evidence-supported! For your answer in question 1, cite evidence processscaffolds through reading strategies help... Quot ; Module 4: students to restate the question analysis of what text. /Pages 7 0 R Make sure to use writing stems, they grow more familiar with a topic keep what! 2 ) I can analyze the connections and distinctions between individuals, ideas or. ( students can also use this format to write the body paragraphs of an essay! standards only... Pbo % } du ) ` ql & Ks.+'=p+MHNKE/ > } \e? 2 kCjn-Li~U-=r9k5drBd. Continue reading about auroras comfortable providing textual evidence an opinion by Finding two or supporting. The writing stems in your classroom describe an inference and include evidence from the.. Boost your students be successful ' abilities to cite text evidence for 7th and. ' comprehension more than any other strategy I 've used.WHAT R.A.C.E analyze the connections and distinctions individuals... Personally through PayPal a natural part can use the RACE strategy to construct a formal to.

How Did Billy Collins Boxer Died, Articles L

lesson 5 citing evidence to support inferences answer key