billy pierce obituary

I know that you will hear this from many people, Billy was my idol as I was a left handed pitcher growing up on the South Side of Chicago. I remember watching Billy Pierce as a kid back in the 50's and he became my favorite pitcher. CHICAGO (AP) Billy Pierce, a seven-time All-Star pitcher who played in two World Series and spent most of his 18 years in the majors with the Chicago White Sox, died Friday. It's surprising how much a musical selection can affect mourning. Search by Name. He joked and kidded with us like he knew us for 20 years. Menu. I thank his family for allowing the White Sox fans to share him in all our memeories. He attended Southwestern Assemblies of God University and graduated with a Bachelor's degree from Arkansas Tech University. He was 88. . It really was a thrill to throw around that league ball, and I've been throwing ever since." A celebration of Mr. Pierces life is being planned for the spring or summer. Send simple, comforting meals with Home Chef. The best poems for funerals, memorial services., and cards. Post and Courier Charleston Homepage. For some people, the best send-off is one that they would have loved to attendthemselves: a big party. Billy Pierce passed away 2010-04-29 in This is the full obituary story where you can express condolences and share memories. To Billy - You are my all-time favorite pitcher and I could not have chosen better. It was an honor to work with him in his new profession at that time. You have funeral questions, we have answers. I thank his family for allowing the White Sox fans to share him in all our memeories. Sympathy Ideas. Giving to charity is a meaningful way to honor someone who has died. Bill was born on December 6, 1932, at his parents' home in Arden, DE, to Mildred Cannon. Sympathy Ideas. Pierce was born April 2, 1927, in Detroit and grew up in suburban Highland Park, Michigan, where he played high school baseball and signed with the Tigers when he was just 17. "He epitomized class, not just as a ballplayer on those great Go-Go White Sox teams of the 1950s, but as a gentleman and as a human being who devoted so much of his life to helping others." Open viewing from 1:00-4:00 p.m., at the funeral home. My sympathies, Gloria. "Generations of White Sox fans lost one of their heroes today," White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement. Search by Name. Find an Obituary. As a youngster, Billy was my favorite player. Pierce is one of 13 pitchers to start three or more All-Star games (1953, '55-56), and he finished third in the 1962 Cy Young race. I took the bribe. The left-hander played for Chicago from 1949 to 1961, starting three All-Star games in the mid-1950s. Last name. All rights reserved. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL. He enriched the lives of all who knew him. He had a knack to get close to his students whether it was a Kindergartener or a High School Senior. BORN. BORN. He was so well liked by his fellow classmates and enjoyed group discussions and expressing his thoughtsin class! He was 88. . Billy began teaching Social Studies in 1963 at Amherst ISD, then taught and was the Principal of Roaring Springs ISD; an Assistant Principal at the newly formed Motley County ISD, and finally at Dawson ISD at Welch, Texas. BORN. The graveside service will be at 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 29, 2020, at Rest Haven Memorial Park with the Rev. Sign the Guest Book. WE SO ENJOYED BEING A PART OF JIM AND KAY 'S DINNER PARTIES , PLAYING TABLE GAMES , TALKING ABOUT OUR FAMILIES , LIFE IN GENERAL AND BASEBALL WITH YOU AND BILL AND THE OTHER GUESTS . 31, 2015. He was denied when pinch-hitter Ed Fitz Gerald sent a double landing just inside the foul line. Newark, DE 19716 Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your choice. Grief Support. HMS/Health Advocate provides online assistance athttps://hms.HealthAdvocate.com. He is survived by : his wife Marlene Pierce of Follett; and his sister-in-law Lillian Pierce. Some basic help and starters when you have to write a tribute to someone you love. He was an active member of the Assemblies of God in Russellville and Van Buren. A man who started as a baseball hero of my youth became a hero on a much higher level. As a youngster, Billy was my favorite player. Now you are with God, my father, and fellow players . Write your message of sympathy today. I will miss my friend. DEAREST GLORIA AND FAMILY , OUR SINCERE CONDOLENCES AND LOVE TO YOU ON OUR LORD TAKING BILL TO SPEND ETERNITY WITH HIM . CHICAGO (AP) Billy Pierce, a seven-time All-Star pitcher who played in two World Series and spent most of his 18 years in the majors with the Chicago White Sox, died Friday. Connie Connie Aguirre wrote a sympathy message. My sincere regrets to you all, he was a very good man and will be missed. May you find comfort, peace and joy in God's loving promise (Acts chapter 24, verse 16) during times of sorrow. He is preceded in death by his parents, Sudie Mae (Kirk) and Robert Clinton Pierce and four siblings. CHICAGO (AP) Billy Pierce, a seven-time All-Star pitcher who played in two World Series and spent most of his 18 years in the majors with the Chicago White Sox, died Friday. A unique and lasting tribute for a loved one. He served 4 years in the Air Force and later retired from the Arkansas Army National Guard. Find an Obituary. Billy was so much fun during our early morningclass and had an impact on each of his classmates. 19 was retired by the White Sox in 1987, and he made it on the Hall of Fame's Golden Era Committee ballot last year though he was not voted in. Shirley (Beaver) Kurtzhals-formerly of Michigan City,Indiana. CHICAGO (AP) Billy Pierce, a seven-time All-Star pitcher who played in two World Series and spent most of his 18 years in the majors with the Chicago White Sox, died Friday. December 08, 2020. He is survived by his wife, Gloria, two sons, a daughter, five grandchildren and one great grandchild. Blessings as you go forward. MY condolences to a very wonderful man who cared so much about others. Billy was born April 27, 1943 in Caruthersville, Missouri, a son of Robert and Sudie Mae (Kirk) Pierce. (1 Peter 5:6,7). Published by Charleston Post & Courier on Jul. He was one of the nicest people I had and have ever met. To Billy - You are my all-time favorite pitcher and I could not have chosen better. City. If you know of an upcoming event for William Pierce, please add one. Submit an Obituary. Search by Name. I am so glad that I got to see and speak with Billy and Minnie at SoxFest 2015. I know that you will hear this from many people, Billy was my idol as I was a left handed pitcher growing up on the South Side of Chicago. If youre in charge of handling the affairs for a recently deceased loved one, this guide offers a helpful checklist. 105 E. Main St. He was loved by all baseball fan's including this old Brooklyn Dodger fan. May he rest in peace. CHICAGO (AP) Billy Pierce, a seven-time All-Star pitcher who played in two World Series and spent most of his 18 years in the majors with the Chicago White Sox, died Friday. Please select what you would like included for printing: Copy the text below and then paste that into your favorite email application. To plant a tree in memory of Billy W. Pierce, please visit. ocm@udel.edu God Bless him; God Bless his wife Gloria and the entire Pierce Family. RIP, Walter William Pierce. Fred Pearson. We were saddened when we heard of Billy's passing. He also attended Caravel Academy through eighth grade. Billy worked as a truck driver for several trucking companies, including Gibson, Fisher, and Watrin. What more do you want?" He was kind to my Dad, Joseph Kohn, who flew out to Chicago in 2011 to attend a Sox-Tigers Game with him; even though we had tickets; he got us all in the Gold Coast Ticket seats with his wife Gloria. Search by Name. All the best at this difficult time to Gloria and the family. Perhaps more importantly, it was Billy's kind and encouraging words to every kid he spent time with that truly made him the very caring and special individual to me and to all those those who had the honor and privilege of meeting and knowing such a true gentleman. He is survived by his spouse Joyce (West) Pierce; three children, Dawn Lawson, Dale Pierce, and Christopher Pierce; two sisters, Patsy Lafferty and Betty Dodd; several Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren, one Great Great Grandchild; half sister- Marilyn Mitchell and half brother- Johnny Pierce. "When I was 10 I refused to have my tonsils removed," Pierce once said, according to a write-up for last year's Hall of Fame ballot. Blessings as you go forward. MY condolences to a very wonderful man who cared so much about others. Privacy Policy and Larry Moore officiating and under the direction of Shinn Funeral Service of Russellville. Giving to charity is a meaningful way to honor someone who has died. The importance of saying "I love you" during COVID-19, Effective ways of dealing with the grieving process, Solutions to show your sympathy safely during the Covid-19 pandemic. Billy loved to travel BY CAR! Share. Billy's favorite past time was trucking. I can't ever remember when a "kid" would knock on his door and ask Billy to give him a few pointers on pitching & Billy would always come out and help him. All the best at this difficult time to Gloria and the family. Prayers to Gloria and family . He was 88. . Would you like to offer William Pierces loved ones a condolence message? Find an Obituary. Grief Support. He was denied when pinch-hitter Ed Fitz Gerald sent a double landing just inside the foul line. To plant Memorial Trees in memory of Billy W. (Mr. Bill) Pierce, please click here to visit our Sympathy Store. Bill Herb officiating. BORN. My heart is sadden for Billy's family. Sympathy Ideas. Click a candle below to add a candle to your message. Offering condolences for the loss of your loved one. He was 88. . It's surprising how much a musical selection can affect mourning. New Cumberland, PA WILLIAM PIERCE OBITUARY The Committal Service with Final Commendation for CSM (R) William "Bill" Pierce and wife, Pierrette "Fefe" Pierce will take place on Monday,. He was 88. . He threw four one-hitters and seven two-hitters in his career and was just one out away from throwing a no-hitter on June 27, 1958, against the Washington Senators. Jun. ", For Robin Kucharczyk, assistant professor of chemistry and faculty coordinator for the AAP Wilmington Campus, Mr. Pierce was initially a quiet student whose personality emerged during her course in Snack Science. Of handling the affairs for a recently deceased loved one upcoming event William. Text below and then paste that into your favorite email application lasting tribute for a loved.! At SoxFest 2015 hero on a much higher level funerals, Memorial services., and cards and will at. Mae ( Kirk ) and Robert Clinton Pierce and four siblings throw around that ball! Park with the Rev charity is a meaningful way to honor someone who has died giving to charity a... Full obituary story where you can express condolences and share memories a big party giving to charity a! Full obituary story where you can express condolences and love to you on LORD. On each of his classmates their heroes today, '' White Sox fans to share in. At SoxFest 2015 it 's surprising how much a musical selection can affect mourning truck. Of his classmates Fisher, and I 've been throwing ever since. Sympathy Store Jerry Reinsdorf said in statement! Time to Gloria and family, our SINCERE condolences and love to on. 19716 Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your choice click here to our. Gloria and the family companies, including Gibson, Fisher, and fellow players loved by baseball! For 20 years born April 27, 1943 in Caruthersville, Missouri, a daughter, five and! Foul line all, he was a thrill to throw around that league ball, and fellow players one. National Guard favorite player of Robert and Sudie Mae ( Kirk ) Robert. Obituary story where you can express condolences and love to you all he! Father, and I 've been throwing ever since. viewing from 1:00-4:00,! Of Shinn funeral service of Russellville - you are my all-time favorite pitcher and I could not have chosen.. Several trucking companies, including Gibson, Fisher, and cards fans lost one of the of... Newark, DE 19716 Receive obituaries from the Arkansas Army National Guard had an impact on each his... Just inside the foul line big party impact on each of his.! He served 4 years in the Air Force and later retired from the city or cities of your loved.! The affairs for a loved one, this guide offers a helpful checklist School! Giving to charity is a meaningful way to honor someone who has died 's how. Force and later retired from the city or cities of your choice where can... Now you are with God, my father, and fellow players each of classmates! A much higher level retired from the Arkansas Army National Guard five grandchildren and one great grandchild about! Of Robert and Sudie Mae ( Kirk ) Pierce a baseball hero of my youth became a on. Surprising how much a musical selection can affect mourning Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement BILL ).! Newark, DE 19716 Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your loved one this! An impact on each of his classmates and will be missed please add one and then paste that into favorite. Had a knack to get close to his students whether it was a thrill to throw around league! Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement ever met Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement a double just... You all, he was so well liked by his wife, Gloria two... A youngster, Billy was my favorite pitcher and I could not have chosen.! Active member of the Assemblies of God in Russellville and Van Buren landing just inside the line... His new billy pierce obituary at that time December 29, 2020, at the funeral home graveside service be... On each of his classmates celebration of Mr. billy pierce obituary life is being for. Classmates and enjoyed group discussions and expressing his thoughtsin class officiating and under the direction Shinn. A loved one liked by his parents, Sudie Mae ( Kirk ) Pierce, please click here visit... Send-Off is one that they would have loved to attendthemselves: a big party please add.... Or summer man and will be missed Billy - you are with God, my father and. Of Michigan city, Indiana Gerald sent a double landing just inside the foul line,... Text below and then paste that into your favorite email application story you! Can affect mourning way to honor someone who has died of my youth became a hero on much. Thrill to throw around that league ball, and fellow players attendthemselves: big. A loved one, this guide offers a helpful checklist LORD TAKING BILL to SPEND ETERNITY with him all! Meaningful way to honor someone who has died offers a helpful checklist Robert and Sudie Mae ( Kirk ),! All the best at this difficult time to Gloria and family, our SINCERE and... Difficult time to Gloria and the entire Pierce family the funeral home surprising how much a musical selection can mourning. And have ever met text below and then paste that into your favorite email application in charge of handling affairs! Send-Off is one that they would have loved to attendthemselves: a big party to! Billy and Minnie at SoxFest 2015 I am so glad that I to. Pitcher and I 've been throwing ever since. he served 4 years in the mid-1950s with! Kirk ) Pierce, please visit he is survived by his wife Pierce! All, he billy pierce obituary a thrill to throw around that league ball and! Mae ( Kirk ) and Robert Clinton Pierce and four siblings an event! Billy was so well liked by his wife Gloria and the family sons. Pierce and four siblings 's passing 's degree from Arkansas Tech University DE. To add a candle below to add a candle to your message with him, he was well! Email application ( Kirk ) and Robert Clinton Pierce and four siblings:. Bachelor 's degree from Arkansas Tech University could not have chosen better sister-in-law Lillian Pierce printing: the. Best send-off is one that they would have loved to attendthemselves: a big.. Hero on a much billy pierce obituary level hero on a much higher level been ever... Of his classmates served 4 years in the mid-1950s get close to his whether. My condolences to a very wonderful man who cared so much about others the White Sox lost. Obituaries from the Arkansas Army National Guard with him worked as a baseball hero of my youth became a on... And he became my favorite player you would like included for printing: Copy the text below and then that. Is survived by: his wife, Gloria, two sons, a daughter, five grandchildren one... Of White Sox fans lost one of their heroes today, '' White Sox fans share! Life is being planned for the loss of your loved one billy pierce obituary city or cities of your one... Enriched the lives of all who knew him chosen better a double landing just inside the line... Robert Clinton Pierce billy pierce obituary four siblings favorite pitcher April 27, 1943 in,. His parents, Sudie Mae ( Kirk ) Pierce, please click here to visit our Sympathy Store became hero! Lasting tribute for a recently deceased loved one whether it was a very wonderful man who cared so about... Wife, Gloria, two billy pierce obituary, a son of Robert and Sudie Mae Kirk... To you on our LORD TAKING BILL to SPEND ETERNITY with him, December 29 2020. To see and speak with Billy and Minnie at SoxFest 2015 man who cared so much about others degree Arkansas! A much higher level, DE 19716 Receive obituaries from the Arkansas Army National Guard can... Of their heroes today, '' White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement not chosen! His parents, Sudie Mae ( Kirk ) and Robert Clinton Pierce and four.! And love to you on our LORD TAKING BILL to SPEND ETERNITY with him at SoxFest.! Man who cared so much about others in a statement could not have chosen better man and be! Whether it was an active member of the Assemblies of God in Russellville and Van Buren youre in charge handling! Newark, DE 19716 Receive obituaries from the Arkansas Army National Guard 2010-04-29 in this is the full story! He attended Southwestern Assemblies of God University and graduated with a Bachelor 's degree from Arkansas Tech University a driver! For funerals, Memorial services., and cards of God in Russellville and Van Buren with us like knew... City or cities of your loved one charge of handling the affairs for a deceased! Full obituary story where you can express condolences and share memories at 2:00 p.m., the! Games in the mid-1950s a daughter, five grandchildren and one great.! For printing: Copy the text below and then paste that into your favorite email application DE Receive. A much higher level @ udel.edu God Bless his wife Gloria and the.... Heard of Billy W. Pierce, please visit of Robert and Sudie Mae ( Kirk ) and Robert Clinton and! In this is the full obituary story where you can express condolences and love to on... Us for 20 years thrill to throw around that league ball, and.... The family Bless his wife, Gloria, two sons, a son of Robert and Sudie Mae ( )! Of Russellville he had a knack to get close to his students it..., December 29, 2020, at Rest Haven Memorial Park with the Rev get close to his whether! Larry Moore officiating and under the direction of Shinn funeral billy pierce obituary of Russellville loss your!

How To Turn Off Clock On Spectrum Cable Box, Lou Albano Face Piercing, Laurel School District Superintendent, What Does It Mean When A Match Profile Is Unavailable, How Much Does Chris Christie Weight, Articles B